Thursday, April 15, 2010

Back on the Bike in Colorado

Now that I'm living in Longmont Colorado, I've taken a few flat, short rides to try and get altitude adjusted and frankly to shake off the winter lapse (FYI, Longmont is apparently a suburb of Boulder to some, or a distant mad cousin of Boulder to others). Today I took a longer ride right up to the mountains proper.

It was a late start, around 5:30 and I got schooled in one of the things the locals say about the weather, "if you don't like it, wait 15 minutes." When I left I was quite warm in my standard cycling gear. By the time I got back, my lungs were searing from the exertion, cold and altitude. Ouch. I almost couldn't move my arms I was so cold. Oops. Bad Judgement.

Which reminds me of this quote:

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Unfortunately, Experience only comes from Bad Judgement."

In a nice pasture bathed in some really nice setting sunlight, I ran across a herd of Buffalo grazing. That was pretty cool. And a couple of space antennas, reminding me of the fact that the US has some pretty cool installations in Boulder, e.g. NOAA, NIST and NCAR to name a few.

Here are the Buffalo:



And here are the Space Antennae:



Without the cold wind, it would have been a better ride, but hey, I'm a local now.

1 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Helen said...

And better still... back on blog!
Thanks for sharing -- love the pics. (Who took them? or did you grow extra long arms for the occasion?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home