Monday, April 18, 2005

The MS 150 - Aftermath Day 1

One usually reserves the word "aftermath" to describe disasters, things like battles lost, tornados, tsunamis and "W" being elected. I think aftermath is an appropriate word to use here, based on how my body feels.

I was warned that much of the challenge, besides the distance, would come from two areas, the hills of the second day, and group riding with a lot of inexperienced riders. These warnings were not emphasized enough.

But first some recognition and thanks.

Without question, Kim's organizational help made all this not only possible, but enjoyable. Thanks Kim!!! And with the guidance of my friend Scott, I really got to enjoy the trip more than should be legal for a newbie. Scott got me on the HP team and answered my questions with great patience. Plus, he let me draft on him quite a bit, saving me huge amounts of energy, which was probably the single most important reason I finished at all. Thanks Scott!!!

Let me also say that the tour organizers must be geniuses and the people who volunteered were incredibly wonderful, all around. So many individuals were involved, and the sheer SCALE of this event was not to be believed. I tried taking a couple of pictures with a small camera to capture some of this, we'll see how it turns out. There were times when I could see the line of riders stretching as far as I could see, for what seemed like miles out in the farms.

As well, we have to thank the innumerable police and public safety folks who took weekend duty to direct traffic around us to keep us safe. Tough job. There were many times I would pass someone directing traffic, and I tried to shout a "thank you" to them whenever I could.

More thank you's to the crew at HP who helped put the accomodations together in La Grange, we had a wonderful tent to sleep in, a place to store the bikes, food, drinks, everything. Basically whatever we would ask for, someone would help. Fantastic!!!

At ConocoPhilips, we had a great private team start, and so avoided a huge amount of chaos in the stadiums, thanks guys! Oh yeah, and thanks for letting us use the rest rooms before the ride :)

Ok, so on to the ride itself. I'm dividing the blogs into days, lots to say.

Day 1

Everyone is assembled at the ConocoPhilips parking lot, we are pretty early, yet there is a PA stack blaring Beach Boys surfing music and other rock and roll. It's 5:15AM.

Got my bike out of the car, and I've met my friends. A few potty breaks and we are ready to go. Ah, I hear the Star Spangled Banner and everyone has stopped what they are doing to turn and listen. Big cheers and we are all assembling to go. The tour organizers and team leaders give us our last minute instructions and safety tips, and we are off!!! Woo hoo!

First impression, it's dark and chilly and we are riding on Houston roads. Hmmmm...well, we'll be out of the city shortly, and indeed we are.

The roads are amazingly flat (remember, I train in Austin Hill Country). We are cruising at at a nice pace, and my heart rate is barely above "recovery training", which is very low. Hey, this can't be bad! Even better, the forecast winds were to be at our back, and they are!

The sun is now just rising, we've gone through Rest Stop 2. Never even saw Rest Stop 1, unless it was that group of trees I saw some riders stopping at (blush).

This seems great, the weather is perfect, the roads are good, the tour is clearly well organized, and they even had a live band cranking out rock and roll at Rest Stop 2, all before 0800. The good times are not to last however.

Minutes out of Rest Stop 2, one of our group, Henry, has a flat. Scott and I press on, but a moment or two later, Scott says he is going back for Henry. I pause for a moment, thinking I can't add too much help that Scott wouldn't be able to give. So I stop to wait and take a picture. The air is slightly misty and the sun is coming up behind the long line of riders down the straight country road. Beautiful, so I took out my camera and took a picture of it.

But we are right in the middle of a construction zone where one side of the highway is newly paved a few inches higher than the other side. A perfect way for a rider to catch a wheel and fall. Moments after my picture, that's exactly what happens. At high speed, a rider goes down.

The medics finally arrive and they call in LifeFlight. Luckily, a Dr. rode by and was able to help before the medics even got there. Verrry lucky indeed.

This is the second time I have seen that type of accident. The first time was when I saw a friend crash crossing railroad tracks. Same accident - BAM! - right on to your head with no warning. No time to even put your hands out to break your fall. Moral: ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!!!

The postscript on this incident; as riders are going around the scene of the accident, they have to go on to the rough pavement, and then try to cross back "up" to the new pavement, exactly the same way the accident happened. Well, sure enough, they start crashing like flies, so myself and a couple of others became temporary traffic cops until the ride marshalls can get traffic under control. Even then, people try to "cut in" among those of us trying to direct traffic, and then THEY crash. One such fellow apologizes for his error. I guess the look on my face tells him exactly what I think of his bad judgement, especially as we are trying to help him(!)

So it's heads up for me for the rest of the ride. It's only a charity ride - no need to take any chances. It's all for a good cause.

The rest of the ride is now targeted at making Belleville for lunch. Things are supposed to be pretty flat and they are.

Lunch at Belleville is great, I have a turkey sandwich, peanut butter sandwich, fruit cup and a small bowl of pasta. Lot's o' calories for the rest of the trip. We tank up on water, and then more water and then we are off, first heading right through downtown Belleville on highway 36 and then off to La Grange.

The terrain is supposed to start becoming hilly, and it does. But first, things are pretty downhill, and feelings are good. As the ride goes on though, the hills start to come. They are long hills and short hills, lots of climbing. This is the first time I really start noticing what my guide friend Scott calls "bunching". When all the riders hit the hill, the well separated riders bunch up as they slowly, and with difficulty, pass each other. Well, one of the bad things that can happen, is a rider can stop suddenly (chain break, leg fatigue etc.) and the riders behind lose their "momentum", the pace they have set themselves to get up the hill. Or worse, a rider can go down and a slow motion chain reaction crash can happen. More on this, Day 2.

So I learned to navigate the bunching better, as it appeared I could hill climb pretty well (remember the Austin Hill Country training). But one of the bad things about passing on hills is being exposed to on coming traffic, so I try to pay a lot of attention to things ahead of me. Not always easy though, hill climbing takes intense effort and concentration. Plus, as I was to later learn, the climbing technique I use requires the extended use of a little known muscle in the back of the knees, the popliteus. This muscle is now becoming a wee bit tender in both knees. More on this little muscle and its big impact in Day 2.

The only other thing I notice is that my tummy doesn't feel all that great, kind of a full feeling, and I begin to think I ate too much food at lunch. Perhaps I should have spread all that food out over time to avoid digestion problems. Too late now, but lesson learned: eat small, but eat often.

Now we are seeing mile marker signs for La Grange, great! And without too much more fanfare, we finally reach La Grange and a big traffic jam trying to get in to the camp grounds. There are many, many people waiting at the finish line for loved ones, and cars are parked everywhere along the highway.

I finally get in and dismount, reflecting on the fact that I just rode 100 miles, averaging about 16.5 MPH, right at my personal best. I can hardly walk and talk at the same time. I run into an old acquaintance from Compaq days, and he takes my picture. I'll try to post this picture, along with others, after I get them developed.

When I finally find the HP tent, I can tell I am really run down. That last few miles of hills must have been on adrenaline, because very quickly I am slowing down. I need food and water.

The HP volunteer takes my number and asks me if I want someone to take my bike and store it. I must look confused, because after a moment of not answering, she becomes concerned and asks, "are you all right?" I finally tell her yes, and we both agree I need food and water right away. Without futher ado, I head into the tent, find my buddy Scott and tuck in to barbeque chicken and Kim's home made apple bread until I am stuffed. Much better.

Now I can find my luggage, unpack it and get myself set up. But before I do anything else, I sign up for a muscle massage, a great idea Team HP! The next order of business is a decent shower, which takes maybe a half hour of standing in line but ends in a great hot shower in a mobile trailer. Next I get to unpack my bags, set up my cot, and get ready to sleep. But first, I have to find and meet Kim, who is wandering around the fair grounds, having just arrived. We meet and get to hang out, setting up my cot and stuff. Nice to have friends around when you are hurting :)

Ah, my turn for a massage. I get a half hour of shoulder and neck massage, because the masseuse correctly guesses that my biggest problem was the tension of dealing with group riding. She is absolutely correct, and really helps me relax.

More chicken barbeque. Yum.

I walk Kim to her car, as she is heading home to Austin to sleep. Wow, she sure had to park far away.

I have a quick phone call with my boys and let them know I made the first half of the trip ok. Then it's off to the tent for sleep. Most of the camp is trying to get to sleep by now, as we have to be awake at 4:30 the next morning.

So it's now 9:30 PM, the generator is finally turned off, and the lights and stars are out. Nothing to do but sleep as best as I can, and hope I feel up to the 82 mile ride tomorrow. The weather was perfect, I hope it stays that way for Day 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home